Tuesday 13 August 2019

Introducing my new blog on analysing energy data

A few years ago, while still living in Doha, Qatar, I dabbled a bit in a blog which highlighted some of the publicly available data from that country. I focused, or tried to, on data on the Qatari fishing industry, which is close to my heart as someone who grew up in the Gulf and who loves both eating fish and the ecosystems which make Gulf fish possible. All of the posts are still available here

This new blog will focus more narrowly on data and questions of the energy transition. This reflects my own in-progress career transition and my desire to contribute to what is quickly becoming the world's most pressing issue. To advance this, I have moved to the Netherlands where I began an MSc as a mature student at Utrecht University. The challenges of being a mature student in the Netherlands (especially one from outside of Europe) deserve some discussion of their own, but I am going to focus here on observations of a more technical nature.

My first post on this blog, drafted much earlier, is going to be a foray into using the R programming language to explore energy decision making, will be published from lovely Vancouver. (As such, you ought to probably visit the R bloggers site). It's sad that you can't get here from most of the world without leaving a few carbon footprints, but if you're here you should definitely visit the majestic Stanley Park. 

For my personal blogging, covering my personal life, musical tastes and political interests--not only climate change but also Palestine--I have more or less moved it to Quora

No comments:

Post a Comment